Experience. Knowledge. Results.

Experience. Knowledge. Results.

Medical Treatment in a Georgia Workers’ Compensation Claim

On Behalf of | Nov 21, 2014 | Firm News |

In Georgia, employees who are injured on the job are entitled to Workers’ Compensation medical benefits. These benefits include medical treatment that is necessary to cure you, provide pain relief, or restore your health so that you can return to suitable employment.One of the issues that every injured worker faces in their Georgia Workers’ Compensation claim revolves around medical treatment. After an authorized treating physician has been assigned to the claim, it is very import for the injured worker to be involved in their treatment and to follow the advice of their medical providers.

Georgia law requires that an injured worker cooperate with their doctors and therapists when at all possible. While recommended surgery may be rejected without fear of compromising the claim, failing to follow the doctor’s advice can have a negative effect on the claim. It is especially important to keep appointments and to follow up with medical providers on the schedule that they recommend. But, what happens when the injured worker is not satisfied with their medical treatment?

There are times when an injured employee does not agree with their doctor’s recommendation for treatment. There are other instances when an injured employee feels that the doctor’s treatment plan is not providing a cure or that their health is not improving. Fortunately, the law provides a remedy in these situations.

The panel of physicians provided by the employer contains a list of doctors available to treat the injured worker. An employee is entitled to make one change in treating physicians from one doctor to another from the panel of physicians. Although the change does not require any special authorization, is always wise to have the Employer/Insurer agree to the change of physician before getting treatment from the new physician. This can be a difficult part of your claim and one that calls for help from a legal professional.

For more information and help with a change of physicians or any other concerns that you have about Atlanta Workers’ Compensation claims, contact J. Franklin Burns, P.C., at 1-404-920-4708 .